"Vision 2020", a plan for Oman's economic future up to the year 2020, was announced in 1995, and provides a roadmap for the achievement of the country's economic and social goals over 25 years leading up to 2020. This is the second phase of a development project, the first phase having taken place between 1970 and 1995.
The 2020 Vision’s key objectives are:
- Economic and financial stability
- Changing the role of the Government in the economy and broadening private sector participation
- Diversifying the economic base and sources of national income
- Globalizing the Omani economy
- Upgrading the skills of the Omani workforce and developing human resources
Salalah Free Zone is playing an important role in helping the nation meet these key objectives. The strong investment proposition has already attracted USD 3.5 billion in diversified foreign investment since the zone was established in 2006.